Friday 8 June 2012

Brasserie Bread

On Tuesday I was sent to a "breaducation"class for one of our new suppliers at work ... Brasserie Bread.

Bread to me and many seems like one of those everyday items you throw into your shopping trolley on a weekly or daily basis, but can I say that after my little bakery tour I am certainly going to be using brasserie bread all the time.

They originated in Sydney but now have a melbourne bakery in thistlewaithe street in south melbourne.
You walk into this beautiful smelling place and there is a cafe open 6 days a week selling some beautiful cakes and savoury dishes that promote their produce.

The thing that fascinated me was this sourdough bakery which pump out thousands of loaves a week is a complete man made product! That's right no machinery it is all kneaded and shaped by hand.

The head baker Mick ran the "breaducation" class showing us how to knead an sculpt the bread and taught us about the process of a sourdough.
Firstly a starter dough is made which is continually fed to grow bigger and mature in flavour the bakery had classed this as their baby and seeing that they have had it for the past 16 years and fed it every day 3 times a day for that entire 16 years I can understand why they feel that way.

The brasserie range is quite extensive from fruit loaves with sour cherries to rustic ciabatta or even soya and quinoa and don't even get me started on their chocolate brownies or raspberry and pistachio friands! Yummy!!!!

I think though the stand out loaf was their caramelised garlic loaves a deliciously gooey sticky garlic sourdough which was left alone with me would not stand a chance of survival!

They roll out their sourdough and lather it with this caramel garlic jam then shaped into this rustic looking loaf which smells amazing!
All I can say is that after eating all that garlic I'm glad I didn't have to go back to work.

Brasserie bread supply several cafes and bakeries in melbourne and can be purchased from several retail stores across melbourne like Thomas Dux Grocer.

So to sum up I highly suggest you check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment