Saturday 12 May 2012

Macarons

So in light of mothers day I thought it would be fun to make a batch of Macarons.

Simple enough I thought...
a French confectionery made from meringue almond meal and granulated sugar the filled with a buttercream, ganache or jam centre.
Let's just say I'm defiantly no pastry chef!

Macarons have been around for centuries, some have traced it back to the arrival of Catherine de' Medici (wife of Henry II of France in 1533.
They were traditionally served with port and wine as a petit fore.

Today Macarons have become a trend because of famous Australian patissier Adriano Zumbo and shows like Masterchef.

They are a challenging part of the culinary industry but when they are mastered they are delicious.

My advice would be to fold the almonds into the whisked eggs ensuring not to knock the air out of your meringue giving you the end result of a light crisp shell and to be creative with flavors anything can be done from chocolate to Vegemite.

Even places like McDonald's in Paris sell Macarons in McCafe stalls even with one resembling a hamburger.

After my third attempt I had lemon meringue pie flavored Macarons but they look a bit less than appealing, think I will leave it to Zumbo.

1 comment:

  1. Hey when are you going to post another blog?! I enjoyed reading the other 3! :)

    ReplyDelete